Working area TKI: central theme Climate Neutral
Fewer greenhouse gases
Within the Climate Neutral central theme, we are developing climate neutral, more efficient, more durable and more robust production systems with attention to animal and plant health, animal welfare and biodiversity. Climate neutrality is the dot on the horizon indicating where the ambition lies to reduce or to compensate for the emission of greenhouse gases.
More specifically, the central theme aims at the following:
- Integral, more durable and robust production systems: reduce emissions, efficient use of resources, use of minerals, sustainable raw materials, bio-diversity, climate adaptation and mitigation, circularity.
- Greenhouse gases: CO2, nitrous oxide and methane reduction, efficiency and storage.
- Soil and water: good soil quality, sustainable water management.
- Healthy animals and people (crossover with Healthy & Safe): antibiotics reduction including reduced antibiotic resistance, manage zoonoses, resilient animals, interventions, protection and improvement of animal health, animal welfare.
- Plant health (Crossover with Horticulture & Starting Materials).
- Sustainable fishing industry and aquaculture.
The current activities include 48 ongoing PPS projects and programmes that were on the previous agenda of roadmaps Robust Plant-Based Production and Sustainable Livestock Farming. There is also a close cooperation with the Top Sector Horticulture & Starting Materials within the theme plant health, which includes approximately 40 PPS projects.
In the following years, we will put stronger emphasis on:
- A programme for climate neutral agriculture and horticulture (together with Top Sector Horticulture & Starting Materials).
- A social innovation programme “Healthy Animals and People” (crossover with central theme Healthy & Safe).
- Action plan Healthy Plants – Healthy Planet (within the context of NL Next Level, together with the Top Sector Horticulture & Starting Materials).
- A programme called “Blue Growth”, in which the prime focus is on the use of fresh and salt water for safe and healthy food.
In the project overview (Dutch, desktop version), you will find all knowledge and innovation projects that are part of the central theme Climate Neutral.